Access Campaign Advocacy Officer for China
Location: Beijing, China
Contract: Permanent, full time position
Reporting to: Head of Regional & Francophone Advocacy
Starting date: ASAP
MSF’s ACCESS CAMPAIGN
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is a leading international, independent, medical, humanitarian organisation, dedicated to providing medical humanitarian assistance to vulnerable populations in times of conflict or disaster. In 1999 MSF created the MSF Access Campaign, made up of a team of medical, legal, pharmaceutical, policy and communications specialists, to improve access to existing drugs, diagnostics and vaccines that are unaffordable and to stimulate the development of newer better medical tools that people in countries where MSF works urgently need.
MSF’s Access Campaign has been working in China since 2006, with a focus on exploring the opportunities in improving access to priority medicines in China, and promoting China as a strategic global player in access to medicines for vulnerable populations in developing countries. Building on this, the purpose of the position is to engage with government, academics, civil society organizations, think tanks, legal and health professional communities, industry and other stakeholders in China to monitor and ensure the access of MSF and broader vulnerable populations to more affordable, quality-assured medical products from China.
PLACE IN THE ORGANISATION
The AC Advocacy Officer for China is located in Beijing and reports to the Head of Regional and Francophone Advocacy in Paris. S/he will be responsible to develop and contribute to the achievement of MSF’s Access Campaign objectives and development of activities in China; s/he will ensure the coherence of Access Campaign positioning and communication within MSF Hong Kong, the Beijing Office including with the MSF HK Beijing representative and medical advisor. The AC Advocacy Officer for China will act as a focal point in China, having functional links with multiple AC dossiers, i.e. Vaccine, TB, Policy, Medical, Regulatory, Pharmacist, and other members of the access team. S/he will take the lead of the China work, while supporting AC global work as well as MSF operations.
OBJECTIVES OF THE POSITION
The AC Advocacy Officer for China - China will be expected to lead and coordinate MSF’s Access Campaign’s activities through analysis and advocacy in order to achieve the following objectives:
- Contribute to the development of strategies addressing access issues to MSF priority products, including API(s), developed and manufactured in China.
- Describe, analyze and maintain the landscape of product development pipelines for products of interest to MSF operations.
- With the support of the policy and pharmacist teams and a consultant describe, analyze and maintain the landscape of the relevant intellectual property, trade, health, regulatory and pharmaceutical policies of government, global health actors and CSOs in China.
- Implement product-specific advocacy action plans in China on TB, HPV, HEV, DAAs and beyond.
- Assist pharmacist team to seek for products of interest to MSF operations.
- Ensure representation on MSF AC priority dossiers.
- Genuine interest in and commitment to the humanitarian principles of MSF
- Preferably Chinese citizen – or other nationality holding a working VISA or residence permit who speaks fluent Mandarin.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English at working level.
- Master or PhD in pharmacy, public health, law, public affairs or medical advocacy related. At least 3 years significant work experience in a related field, experience in the public health and access issues in international organizations would be a plus.
- Solid understanding of structures and workings of Chinese government bodies at central and provincial level.
- Proven analytical, writing and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a multi-cultural team setting.
- Ability to work under pressure and with strict deadlines.
- Self-motivation, excellent organizational skills, flexibility and creativity.
- Clear commitment to humanitarian work.
- Willingness to travel within China and abroad.
- Good computer literacy.
- MSF field experience
- Experience of policy advocacy and campaigning.
- Familiarity with laws and policies of patent and/or drug administration.
- Knowledge of pharmaceutical issues.
- Knowledge of international trade law.
- Experience of working in a multicultural context a plus.
- Experience of working with government and international stakeholders, e.g. drafting policy opinions and submissions, establishing and maintaining good network with stakeholders, etc.
MSF is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.