South Sudan: MSF suspends the majority of its medical activities in Maban area after a violent attack
7-24 | Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors without Borders (MSF) has suspended most of its activities in Maban, South Sudan, after suffering a violent attack on Monday 23 July. Yesterday morning, a group of unidentified armed men broke into MSF office and compound, looting the organisation and staff’s properties, burning down a tent full of equipment and destroying most of the vehicles and communication devices. No MSF staff were physically injured during the attack.
7-12 | Over 600 people attempting to cross the Central Mediterranean have drowned or are presumed drowned in the last 4 weeks alone including babies and toddlers. These tragedies, which represent half of the total deaths so far in 2018, took place as there were no longer non-governmental organisation (NGO) rescue boats active on the Central Mediterranean.
5-31 | Since the end of April, the conflict-ravaged counties of Leer and Mayendit, in South Sudan’s north, have once again been wracked by violence. Thousands of people are caught between the frontlines of the fighting, and health facilities have been attacked. The high level of violence prevents many people from reaching basic services, including healthcare, says Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors without Borders (MSF). Women, men and children in Leer and Mayendit counties are enduring extreme levels of violence, including gang rapes and mass killings.
5-26 | On May 26, a healthy baby boy was born on board MV Aquarius, a search and rescue ship run in partnership between Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) and SOS MEDITERRANEE. Baby Miracle was born in international waters at 3.45pm, with his mother rescued just days before on May 24 by an Italian navy vessel and later transferred to the Aquarius. MSF midwife Amoin Soulemane, who delivered the baby said, “For a first time delivery the baby came very quickly.